-->

Visiting Missy Daisy

“I've come upward to watch you, Ms. Daisy” I said inwards a perky tone of vocalism later introducing myself.


By Marie Marley



“Me?” she exclaimed – smiling, looking upward at me, raising her eyebrows together with putting her manus over her heart.

“Yes. You,” I answered, delighted past times her excited reaction.

She had already won my heart. It was obvious she was thrilled to have got me watch fifty-fifty if she had no earthly persuasion who I was.

Search our Award Winning Knowledge Base for Answers to Your Questions, together with Solutions to Problems

Since retiring a few months ago, I’d decided to volunteer spending fourth dimension amongst about local retentiveness attention facility residents who don’t have got many visitors. I selected the marvelous Overland Park, Kansas Clare Bridge community that’s business office of Brookdale Senior Living.

This was my showtime twenty-four hr catamenia together with Ms. Daisy was my showtime ‘client.’

Numerous friends together with acquaintances who produce similar types of volunteer function have got told me they have hence much to a greater extent than than they give. I have got ever taken that amongst a grain of salt. I honestly didn’t run across how it could last true.


I was hesitant at showtime because I was afraid visiting people amongst dementia would brand me sad. That it would remind me of Ed, my Romanaian somebody mate of xxx years, who had passed away amongst Alzheimer’s 7 years earlier.

But those fears were ungrounded. I’ve exclusively got wretched in ane lawsuit because of remembering Ed. In the middle of my 2nd watch I was overcome past times memories of my loss together with I felt certain I was going to yell all the means home. But the feeling passed before I left the edifice that twenty-four hr catamenia together with I didn’t experience similar crying at all.


But dorsum to Ms.Daisy. During our showtime watch I discovered her social skills are hence skillful you’d think she’s volunteering to watch me! When I leave, she ever says, “I promise I run across you lot again.” Then she insists on walking amongst me to the front end door. That actually warms my heart.

During that showtime visit, I asked her, “What sort of music produce you lot like?”

Without hesitation she blurted out, “classical!”

“Who’s your favorite composer?” I inquired.

I didn’t actually await her to recollect the call of whatever ane composer, only she promptly together with definitively said, “Tchaikovsky.”

So for the adjacent watch I wrapped upward a CD of The Nutcracker Suite together with gave it to her. She tore off the gift twine together with smiled existent big when she saw what was inside. She thanked me repeatedly.

But later a few minutes, her eyes became downcast, together with she said “I’m sorry I don’t have got anything to give you.”

To aid her salve face, I pointed out that she had about cookies on her table.

She laughed lightly together with said, “Sure. Help yourself.”




When I shortly asked if I could have got about other she said, “Take every bit many every bit you lot want. They’re from HyVee. HyVee has skillful cookies.”

And she was right. They were about of the best cookies I ever tasted.

 I said inwards a perky tone of vocalism later introducing myself Visiting Miss Daisy
Come Back Early Today: 

Next, I set the disc into the slot of the portable CD job instrumentalist I’d brought along. It was directly obvious that she was familiar amongst the selections. She smiled, moved inwards fourth dimension to the music together with used her manus to tap out the rhythms on her lap.

She fifty-fifty knew when each slice was almost over, because she started clapping correct before the concluding notes. And she became to a greater extent than vigorous amongst each number. She loved every ane to a greater extent than than the ane before. It was such a joy to run across her exhilaration.

And what’s more, I loved it, too, because I have got a background inwards classical music. So nosotros have got that inwards common. I savor the music every fight every bit much every bit she does. It’s almost every bit though nosotros were destined to last paired up.

At the terminate of the watch she said, “I promise I run across you lot again.” Then she whispered, “but I likely won’t last here. I’m going habitation tomorrow.”

I knew total good she wasn’t going habitation the adjacent day, only had no intention of telling her that.

“Well, if you lot produce travel home,” I said, “have a wonderful fourth dimension there. But if you lot are notwithstanding hither I’ll come upward watch you lot in ane lawsuit again adjacent week.”

“Oh, that would last wonderful,” she said. After a distich of seconds, she repeated, “But I likely won’t last here.”

Then – every bit ever - she insisted on walking amongst me to the front end door. I moved beside her every bit she inched along ever hence slowly, unsteadily pushing her walker downward the brusk hallway. We shook hands together with hence I left.

When I went the adjacent calendar week she was inwards her room.

“I’m Marie,” I explained, pretty certain she wouldn’t recollect me. “I’m a volunteer visitor hither together with I’ve come upward to pass about fourth dimension amongst you.” I said.

She studied my human face upward carefully together with hence said amongst a slight hesitation, “Uh - I think I’ve seen you lot before.”

“Yes, you lot have!” I exclaimed. “I visited you lot concluding week.”

“Oh. That’s marvelous,” she said.

Then nosotros got downward to trouble organisation – to what would shortly acquire our exceptional routine. I ate cookies spell nosotros listened to The Nutcracker Suite.

In fact, all of our visits are the same.

She gives me the treats, together with hence nosotros take away heed to the ballet suite. I produce this because I know she loves the music together with won’t recollect nosotros listened to it the previous time. So I don’t have got to think upward unlike activities every week.

When she hears the music it’s every bit though it’s the showtime fourth dimension I’ve played it for her.

Yes. My friends are right. I am receiving hence much to a greater extent than than I give. And I promise to last visiting Ms. Daisy for a long fourth dimension to come.

Marie Marley is the writer of the uplifting, award-winning book, Come Back Early Today: Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 Memoir of Love, Alzheimer’s together with Joy. To acquire to a greater extent than most Marie together with to accesss her wealth of data for caregivers travel to Come Back Early Today.




Related Content
Alzheimer's Disease
Memory Tests
Alzheimer's Symptoms
Alzheimer's Stages


To acquire to a greater extent than most Alzheimer's together with Dementia watch the .

Berlangganan update artikel terbaru via email:

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel